I believe in a “love first, fun first” approach to getting healthier, because change comes from positive energy — plus it feels better! Laughter Yoga fits perfectly into my philosophy as a coach and as a person.
Laughter Yoga involves no mats or poses, just intentional laughter, playful group activities, deep breathing, and a strong sense of connection. It started in 1995, when medical doctor Madan Kataria was studying the health benefits of laughter. The idea came to him in the middle of the night: people need laughter clubs where they can get together to laugh on purpose and gain these great benefits. His wife Madhuri, a yoga teacher, suggested adding deep breathing, and that became the “yoga” component. They started with five people in a park in Mumbai, and today Laughter Yoga is practiced in over 110 countries!
Intentional laughter has the same physical and emotional benefits as spontaneous laughter:
- Improves breathing 😂 Stimulates circulation
- Decreases stress hormones 😂 Boosts immune defenses
- Improves pain threshold 😂 Enhances mental functioning
- Elevates mood 😂 Enhances memory
- Builds a sense of social connection 😂 Promotes psychological well-being
I’m especially interested in providing the following services:
- Laughter “energizers” for corporate and organizational conferences and events in the Washington DC area and on Zoom.
- Laughter Yoga for elders, in senior centers, senior living communities or other venues. I have a Functional Aging Specialist certification and great respect and love for people at all stages of life.
- Outdoor Laughter Yoga, or outdoor laughter plus physical movement (I’m also a certified personal trainer) for organizations and at community events. Laughter + deep breathing + the natural environment + social connection + physical movement = a super-fun, uplifting and health-promoting experience!
I first experienced Laughter Yoga at a local public library with the fabulous Laughter Ambassador Diane Cohen. After the pandemic hit, I trained with Sebastian Gendry to lead Laughter Wellness on Zoom. I started offering regular laughter groups, which were a lifeline for me during those isolated times. When Laughter Ambassador Celeste Greene offered her first in-person training since 2019, I jumped at the chance and became a Certified Laughter Yoga Leader after an exhilarating two days in Atlanta in August 2022.
I’ve presented Laughter Wellness or Laughter Yoga to:
- A mortgage company
- A birthday party on Zoom with guests from around the world
- A technology start-up
- The U.S. Embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam (where newcomers faced 3-week quarantines due to COVID 😟)
- The Women’s Exchange club in Chicago
- The participants in a marathon and half-marathon race on World Laughter Day, and more.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you think I might be able to serve you or your organization with my positive energy and laughter. Thank you very much!